Social Projects in the Galapagos
Programs aim to increase gender equality and environmental awarness
The activities vary by season, but among the most common are:
– Monitoring of species (sea lions, turtles, sharks, birds, etc.)
– Technical assistance in scientific projects on Biodiversity in the Islands
– Digitalization of scientific records
– Control of introduced species
– Studies of ecosystem services
– Maintenance, expansion and adaptation of visiting sites
Project available year-round. 1 to 6 months durations available.
2 weeks – $1460
1 month – $1930
2 months – $2870
3 months – $3810
Each extra week – $235
Accomodation is at the volunteer house. 2 meals are included: breakfast and lunch.
Basic Spanish, must be 18 and over, with valid passport and health insurance
The program runs parallel to the school year, which runs from April – January (In much of mainland Ecuador the regular school year runs from approximately late September to the end of June)
Classes are held in three month cycles:
– April – June
– July – September
– October – December
A summer camp program is held for 4-5 weeks, mid-February to mid-March. Adult classes continue in the evenings during the mid-January to March period.
– English classes are held four afternoons a week (Mon – Thurs)
– The children’s classes last for one hour each from 3.00 – 4.00pm, 4.00 – 5.00pm and 5.00 – 6.00pm. On Friday afternoons no regular classes are held, but the children may come to watch films or participate in special activities.
– The adult English classes are also an hour each in two blocks, from 7.00 – 8.00pm and 8.00 – 9.00pm.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteer will be at a teaching center in the main city on the island. They can teach English courses during the afternoons and evenings for children aged 5-17 and adults. There is also a need for assistants to help kindergarten and elementary school teachers in the overcrowded school system. Native English speaker, education background is a plus, IT and computer skills are critically desired.
No special experience is required. However, the number one qualification is the willingness to learn and help.
Available during the length of the project (Either at the project or local homestay families with 2 meals included)
Transfer from Quito to project
Local cell phone is included with a refundable deposit of $50
Aiport pick-up/ drop-off
Ecua Explora staff ready to transport you
Support 24 hours
On the ground Ecua Explora staff available
First weekend accomodation
In a hostal in Quito with breakfast
(includes city tour and lunch)
Meals not specified
Transportation to/from the homestay to the project each day
Add $70 for day excursion upon arrival.
Add $50 per week for 6h Spanish classes if in Quito.
Flight from Quito to GPS: 550 usd approx.
GPS entrance fee: 100 usd
GPS INGALA transit card: 10 usd
Transfer in/out GPS airport (Puerto Baquerizo Moreno) to the project: 20 usd per way.