ASSIST WITH ART, DANCE, ART THERAPY, OR COMPUTER CLASS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Be part of an academics of art program , whose purpose is to provide stimulation and arts education for children, young adults in different artistic areas (music, dance, painting)
It is a project of a foundation with 20 years of experience providing care to children and young people who have some kind of disability, which has determined different programs according to the skills and abilities of students or prospective students.
They also have an academics of art program, whose purpose is to provide stimulation and music education for children, young adults in different musical areas including Violin, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass, percussion, piano and keyboard, ballet, and Computer. Interns will have the opportunity to assist with classes in the areas of music, dance, or computer.
They have many different programs that are listed below.
1. Academic artistic program: Program in which youth and adults with intellectual deficit, over 12 years old who have a middle school level, are involved in activities for reinforcement and maintenance, developing skills and abilities in different areas: academic functional, music, computer, art (dance, Visual Arts, performing, manual arts), and sports activities.
2. Therapeutic art program: Program in which youth and adults with intellectual deficit, 12 years and older, can make learning and maintenance activities, developing skills and abilities in different areas: music (choir, learning of the instrument), arts (Visual Arts, dance, performing arts), crafts, maintenance of elementary school knowledge and sports.
3. Day care program: Program in which youth and adults with intellectual deficit and need for individualized attention, over 12 years, make activities for improvement of care, conduct, work in group, autonomy and receive reinforcement in various therapeutic areas of support.
4. Care Therapeutics: Program in which youth and adults with intellectual deficit and or learning disabilities receive individualized therapeutic care that allows improving their educational performance, its possible integration of educational or employment and that is developed in groups with few students and during evening hours.
5. Musical artistic development: Program in which children with disabilities (up to 11 years old) receive stimulation and artistic activities music to support their overall development in a creative space.
Project available year-round, classes for interns are from September-June. 1 month minimum.
2 weeks – $1360
1 month – $1830
2 months – $2770
3 months – $3710
Each extra week – $235
Accomodation in Quito is with a local host family and it includes 2 meals per day: breakfast and dinner
Spanish level: Volunteers – Basic user A2, Internship – Independent user B2. Must be 18 and over, with valid passport and health insurance
Mondays to Fridays
8:00 to 13:00 work at the project as a class music assistant.
13:00 to 14:00 lunch time
14:00 to 17:00 continue working at the project providing stimulation and music education for children, young adults in different musical areas.
If you take Spanish classes:
It is necessary to have less working hours so you can study two hours for 3 days a week. This would be from 15:00 to 17:00.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers will be able to help with many of the projects listed above, as well as with the summer camps they offer, especially in July.
The role of the intern is as class music assistant.
Classes for regular students (without disabilities) are offered twice per week from September until June in the afternoon. Interns will work from 2-7pm as class assistants. Groups are max 10 people. There’s also a summer camp in July, from 9-1pm. Spanish level must be at least intermediate, especially for the volunteers.
Experience in PT or special education (not necessary). Volunteers should be open, flexible, patient, caring passionate, creative and come with a spirit of collaboration and solidarity.
Available during the length of the project (Either at the project or local homestay families with 2 meals included)
Transfer from Quito to project
Local cell phone is included with a refundable deposit of $50
Aiport pick-up/ drop-off
Ecua Explora staff ready to transport you
Support 24 hours
On the ground Ecua Explora staff available
First weekend accomodation
In a hostal in Quito with breakfast
(includes city tour and lunch)
Meals not specified
Transportation to/from the homestay to the project each day
Add $70 for day excursion upon arrival.
Add $50 per week for 6h Spanish classes if in Quito.